Saturday 24 November 2018

NaNo Days 19 to 24: 40k and the home straight

So last week I had the week off. I had to many days still left over to take with me to next year, and I could also do with a bit of a break in the middle of the busy season (sales, holidays, etc). Also, of course, it was good for writing.
The aim was to write 2,000 words every day, which would bring me pretty close to 50,000 by the end of this week. This did not work out exactly as planned, as on Day 21 I didn't actually write a single word. But I still made the 40k on Day 22 and am now a little over 43,000 words. Feels like I should be able to finish the story in a couple of days, especially as I still have a write-in ahead of me on Monday. However, I feel like I should have more words on the page by now, because my going has been pretty slow.
What makes the writing pretty tough is that I have sort of lost interest in my characters and story. I know they will end up together, despite all the tension I've been trying to put in their exchanges, I know when and where it will happen, but I can't actually be bothered with all the stuff happening in between. It is kind of silly; I already knew what the ending would be before I started to write, which is a unique situation for me, as I generally don't write an ending to any story, but somehow that didn't make it easier to get there. So I've been putting in all kinds of personal experiences just to flesh out the story a bit more, which doesn't really have anything to do with the main narrative. Scenes that have nothing to do with the actual romance portion of the plot, but are there just to get more words in. A proper editor would put a red cross over them in a heartbeat.
This is fine. It is what NaNo is about; getting words on the page. Also, I never expected the romance genre to be the thing for me, and it turns out I was right all along. You live and learn, and learn and write. Just a little under 7,000 words to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment