Thursday 1 November 2018

NaNo Day 1: Romance, anyone?

So today is November 1st, which means it's NaNo time! For some reason, I hadn't discovered the DutchNaNo Discord channel in previous years, so I kept my NaNo'ing mostly to myself. Today, I joined the website, and discovered a world of random chatting, writing distractions, and word wars. Also a neat bot that keeps track of the word wars and provides writing prompts and what not. It is a bit of a distraction, with 50+ people all talking at the same time it is pretty hard to keep track of things, so I mainly joined for the word wars, which means 20 or 30 minutes of non-stop writing and then posting the word count you managed in that time. Apparently, my writing speed is about 50 words per minute.
So at the end of today my score is 3471 words. A little over the 3,000 that was my goal, but way lower than the 4,808 count I reached on my first day of the 2016 NaNo. Never mind, I put in the buffer I needed to tide me over tomorrow, when I will be at a work conference the whole day and unable to write. After that it is the weekend, which should give me plenty of writing time.

Story-wise, I'm supposed to be writing a romance, as that is the genre I set myself, but today I didn't really get into that atmosphere. Surprisingly, it didn't take long at all to get into the 'second person perspective', where my main character is 'you'. Also, I could fit some dialogue in there, which I thought might be difficult. Other than that, it's been exposition, exposition, and more exposition, as I laid down the main character's surroundings and job. Will have to get more into the romantic atmosphere this weekend, because now it reads more like a manual than a love story. Anyway, I'm very much done for the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment