Sunday 29 May 2016

Bricked

Last Friday, my phone died. It was acting weird the evening before, constantly rebooting while I was installing updates, but it had performed its proper alarm clock function in the morning. Then it somehow turned itself off, and never came back on again. Apparently in techy terms, it's 'bricked'; no more use for it than for a brick.
Now I had been mentioning to people that I wanted to get a new phone sometime soon, because it was starting to get slow and full and obnoxious, but this wasn't really the way I wanted that to go. Same thing happened with my laptop; I mentioned wanting to get a new one, and it promptly got stolen. Somehow the universe and I are getting our signals mixed.
Anyway, luckily I still had my work phone on me, so I could contact the people I was at a convention with. But other than that, I had nothing. I couldn't contact people, I couldn't check my apps, I couldn't even register how many steps I was taking. Also, I knew there would be a pretty big chance that all my pictures and contacts (the only phone number I know by heart is my parent's land line, otherwise I'm blank) and chat history would be lost forever. Sounds like the perfect time to have a major freak out, doesn't it?
But I didn't freak out.
I felt uncomfortable about not being able to reach out to people, to have a way of connecting with them. If someone somewhere needed to tell me something, or had a problem, they couldn't reach me. But otherwise, it didn't feel like a major drama. It was the same when my laptop crashed: I felt a mild panic about having lost so much data, only to remember that most of that data didn't really matter that much anyway. I mean, I would be really really sore if I lost all my pictures, but I make regular back-ups of those, and otherwise; what's there to miss? Lots of music files I didn't really listen to since I installed Spotify. Several games I'd been halfheartedly playing, and gained some levels in, but lost interest in months ago. My chat history. Now that is a thing, because I am one for going back and rereading old conversations when I have nothing to do (long train journeys without wifi). So that will be a miss, although people are already working hard to get me a new chat history. Also, my personalised settings; my ring tone, background picture, etc. Some of those have been the same for years, and I will miss them now they're gone. I may get them back, in time, but they're not the first priority.
So, in short; my life didn't fall apart when my phone broke down, it just got a bit less cluttered and data-heavy. Also, it feels good to know that the major function of my phone, for me, is to be in touch with the rest of the world. That was the thing I missed, not some game or Facebook or whatever. And although I missed being able to communicate, having a quiet weekend without contact wasn't so bad either. Makes me feel like less tech-addicted than I feared!

No comments:

Post a Comment