Sunday 1 November 2015

NaNo Day 1: A Flying start

My 2015 NaNoWriMo effort is off to a flying start; at the moment I'm at 2,560 words (which I thought was a nice moment to pause and do some other things), of the 1,667 I should be writing each day. Which means I'm ahead, yes, ahead, of schedule. A flying start, as they say.
I wrote my first 790 words in three quarters of an hour, which isn't a record per se, but is pretty damn quick considering I haven't actually written fiction in about half a year. The second streak, from 790 to 2,560, was done in one hour exactly, which means about 1800 words an hour. If I keep that up (which probably won't happen), I can get the daily limit done in an hour every day, which would maybe kinda fit in my schedule (again, probably not, but some days you can write, and some you can't).
But the best thing about all of this is not the quantity, it's the quality. I'm actually pretty happy about what I've written so far. It's the start of the story, so it's the bit I've been rehearsing and fine tuning in my head for the past few days, but still, nice sentences and words and details and characterisations popped up in my head as I went along. The characters are still behaving as they should, doing the things they should be doing and thinking the things they should be thinking, so I'm still pretty much in control. I switched narrators just now, and it takes some time to get into the 'voice' of the second narrator, but still, it's going quicker than expected.
So I'll just continue to write as long as it's going smoothly, and see what word count I finish on for today. I've seen several others on the Regional Forum at 5,000+, which would be really nice, but also really difficult. Either way, I'm happy with what I've got, and anything extra is just a nice NaNo bonus.

ETA: I finished at 5,039 words today, which must make this my best first NaNo day ever. If only November only had Sundays...

1 comment:

  1. Well done and good luck for the rest of the month!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete