Saturday 11 January 2014

Sent favourites

Sometimes you find a postcard that you really really love, and you buy it with the vague idea of ever sending it to the perfect person, but deep down you know that this card will never be sent, and that you will just keep it for yourself. I have several of these, mainly old Alice in Wonderland illustrations, but also some other pictures and book covers.
Once in a while though, I come across a profile that I really like, by a person who is so very much like me, that I cannot help but send them the card. Usually I tell them how long the card has been waiting for that perfect recipient, and how much I hope that they will enjoy the card as much as I did. Usually, I get a very happy and emotional response. There was this one guy who I sent a card that was among the first batch of cards that I had ever bought for Postcrossing, and he didn't respond at all (and now he's removed the image from Postcrossing altogether!). Luckily, I found the same card again, and am now resolved not to send it again.
But some cards I have sent, and then favourited when they arrived. This feels a bit like 'liking' your own Facebook post, but in my eyes it is different. I'm liking the card, not the message I put on that card. I would love to receive that same card from someone else, which I can only make clear by 'favving' it (so that it will show up in my Favourites, a place where most Postcrossers do look before sending a card). I haven't actually received one back yet, but I'm still hoping.

Anyway, here are some examples of cards I've sent, but would secretly loved to have kept for myself (I have not included all the bird and butterfly photographs and book covers, as this may have become a bit repetitive):

NL-1537948 sent to Austria on 10 November 2012

NL-1253609 sent to Finland on 3 June 2012

NL-1474709 sent to Finland on 7 October 2012

NL-1484155 sent to Poland on 12 October 2012

NL-1366803 sent to Brazil on 7 August 2012

NL-2026982 sent to Germany on 24 August 2013

NL-1137391 sent to Germany on 1 April 2012

Which may lead me to conclude that I like cards with people, and black-and-white cards, more than I think I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment