Wednesday 2 December 2015

52 Book Challenge - November

In all that craziness of writing a novel, I completely forgot to tell you about the novels I've read. Which weren't a lot, because I spent all my free time writing, but here goes:

37 In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
38 Kom hier dat ik u kus - Griet Op den Beeck

When I bought the first one, the salesperson told me that it was the best American novel she'd ever read. So the standards were pretty high, and sad to say, In Cold Blood didn't really meet them. I don't know what the best American novel I've ever read is, but this one certainly isn't it. Too factual, too cold, too unimaginative. Mind you, it's a great feat of literature, but not really for me...
The second novel is in Dutch, obviously, or more correctly in Flemish, which I think is a lot prettier and softer than Dutch. The novel is absolutely brilliant, following the life of Mona at three different ages, as she discovers who she is, how she wants to live her life, and with whom. Especially part 1, when she's about 8 years old, is beautifully written. If you're Dutch, and you haven't read it: lezen dat boek!
So as this year has only 29 days left, and I still have 14 books to go, I think we can conclude that I won't be making 52 new books this year. But I've decided to set my standards a little bit lower, and aim for 40 books, which should be possible, now that NaNoWriMo is over. Which gives me something to aim for, but something a bit more realistic than 52!

No comments:

Post a Comment