Friday 3 January 2014

Writing when bored

So Neil Gaiman said (quite a while ago, but only today did he actually post a link to the interview on his blog) that "the best way to come up with new ideas is to get really bored." Which is why he is temporarily suspending his use of social media, as they distract him from what he should really be doing, namely "making things up".
This is very true. Writing is done best when your head is clear of other things, and it's wandering around, hopping and skipping over a wide variety of subjects and events and memories, until somehow and from nowhere inspiration hits and you're filled with this wonderful feeling of A Great Idea That Must Be Written Down Now. Only experience has taught me that writing it down at exactly that moment actually kills the process, so I tend to muse on it a bit longer until it is cristallized into exactly what I want to say, and then I write it down (by which I mean: I take out a notebook and pen, and literally write it down. Using a computer to type things up is wonderful, but it also makes you type things you can easily delete again, whereas when you put in the effort of actually writing, you think about what you're writing and exactly how you're saying things more. That's the way it works for me, at least).
Now my head hasn't been exactly empty or bored lately, so logically I haven't been doing much writing. But I have had this storyline at the back of my head, complete with protagonist/narrator, ready to be fleshed out whenever my head felt the time was ready. This holiday, my head became sufficiently cleared enough, and somehow whole themes, sentences, concepts, dialogues and paragraphs came jumping out at the weirdest moments. Usually while I was slightly bored about the thing I was actually doing, such as trying to finish a 1500 piece jigsaw puzzle, cleaning the toilet, or biking through town. You have to be doing something else, it doesn't work when you're lying in bed ready to fall asleep, or walking a long distance, or just sitting still. There has to be some conscious, but minimal and slightly boring, activity going on in your head, with your subsconscious being sufficiently unoccupied.
This makes me both happy and sad: happy to know that I can still have these moments, and then write them up and feel incredibly accomplished, and sad to know that once I have to start working again, my mind will be taken up by lots and lots of practical things that will push out any space for creativity or musings of any kind. Maybe someday I will be able to have a dayjob that requires minimal attention span and doesn't 'linger' in my head so I can still write in the evening hours or during weekends, but I don't really see that happening. Art isn't a part time thing. I wish I were Neil Gaiman.

No comments:

Post a Comment