Sunday 29 July 2018

Camp NaNo Days 24 to 29: Winner!

Wow. It was long, it was hot, it was an absolute struggle to concentrate, but I got to my goal of 20,000 words! My official stats say 20,097, which I will take any month of the year (except November, when you need 50,000). I put in 2,865 words today, which is the highest number on any of my Camp NaNo july days, but I just wanted to get the thing over with.
My stats are completely wonky this month, as I mentioned earlier, all leaps and bounds:

But I got there in the end, writing through an official heat wave of 13 days. I do see the advantages of writing in November.
Quality wise, some parts are pretty good, some parts I know I will never want to read again if I can help it. My aim was to provide back story for my seven main characters, and I wrote back stories for six of them, which is secretly better than I'd hoped, although the aim is to get 4,000-5,000 words for each of them, and I think I only made that for one. But it made things easier NaNo wise, because if I didn't like the character I was working on, I could switch to another chapter and be in another world all together.
My next thing will be to combine this Camp NaNo with my April Camp NaNo, giving me about 41,000 words, and then smoothing things out and filling in the blanks. I know there are going to be a lot of inconsistencies, duplications, and weird changes in tone or plot, so it will need work. But for now, I'm done with writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment