Wednesday 15 July 2015

Spotify

I am usually not one of those ‘early adopters’, who jump onto a technological bandwagon just as it’s taking off. I didn’t get a smartphone until most people around me were already on their second or third. When everybody was starting to get into digital photography, I got another analogue camera. And I still like to write most things by hand, instead of using my phone, computer or tablet.
So it may not come as a surprise that I didn’t discover Spotify until February this year, when enough people had bugged me about it (and enough colleagues were happily immersed in their music while working). Until then, I’d been adding specific music files to my smartphone, and playing that selection randomly through the general Samsung music app. But with Spotify, the possibilities were endless!
It reminded me of using Rhythmbox (for Linux) on my computer; all the music I could ever need, neatly organized by artist or album, or just one long list I could put on shuffle. Only without the fuss of having to tag the songs properly (yes, I am one of those neat freaks who has to remove the masses of underscores or “XOXO from Juan in Brazil” comments, and put in the right numbers, titles and genres, including proper capitalization). Not all the music I want is on there (no The Beatles, for example), but then again I couldn’t (illegally) download all the music I wanted to, so no big difference there.
So I’ve added all my regular artists, who I’ve listened to and loved for many years now, including Counting Crows, Goo Goo Dolls, Train, Alanis Morissette, and some other nice 90s flashbacks such as Lifehouse, Krezip, Robbie Williams and Blink 182. To which I added some film soundtracks (Amelie, 500 Days of Summer) and some separate numbers that I cherish (Solisbury Hill by Peter Gabriel, for example). And that was mostly that. Apart from leeching on those more musically knowledgeable friends who actually put together playlists, that is. And stealing lone numbers from those playlists, and adding those to my growing collection of songs to be played in shuffle mode.
But the whole idea of Spotify, or that’s how it was sold to me, is that you discover new music. Whenever you click on an artist, Spotify tells you about similar artists, who make similar music. Which is how you discover new bands you like, and new songs, and broaden your musical horizon.
Only it doesn’t really work that way for me. One reason, probably, is that I have absolutely no memory for song or band names. There are very few songs I can name from memory, and even with most Counting Crows songs I have to wait for the chorus to start before I’m completely sure what the title is, even though I’ve probably heard that song about 200 times. I can’t recognize most artists, and often have to use the music recognition app on my phone to be sure who’s playing on the radio. When people mention songs or artists to me, or I hear a song on the radio and like it, I won’t remember any of that. So when Spotify tells me that Counting Crows are very similar to The Wallflowers, I won’t remember that band name in a couple of minutes, or recognize them as the group that has a song that I actually really like. Somehow this capability for musical knowledge must have skipped a generation, because my dad is actually very good with music.
Another thing, having all those other artists recommended to me makes me feel like my very special and unique taste in music, carefully developed and maintained, isn’t really that special or original at all, because there are many other bands out there who do exactly the same thing, and if I’d stumbled upon them first, they’d be on my most-played list. And while I know that there is nothing original or special about my taste in music, I still like to live in that illusion.
And finally, of course, the familiar things are the easiest. The songs that you’ve known for years, the memories attached to those songs, the lyrics you can sing (mime, while at work) along with word-for-word; that feels more comfortable than searching and trying and rejecting.

So apparently, when it comes to music, it’s the same for me as with technology. I like the comfortable, familiar things, and won’t go out on a limb to get the newest or hippest thing first. I don’t mind that I don’t know about the hottest song of the moment, or discover that up-and-coming artist before any of my friends. When something new comes along, I will try it tentatively, and when it feels right and fits into my routines, I will gradually add it to my routine. The same way Spotify found its way into my life, some of the new songs and artists will also gradually find a place on my shuffle list. And by the time I’m fully adapted and in tune, there will be another new hip way to listen to music, and I’ll find my way there in due time…

No comments:

Post a Comment