Sunday 7 June 2015

Oreo cake

A couple of weeks ago I made an Oreo cheesecake, wondering why I never thought of using Oreos in my baking before. Since a cheesecake technically doesn't involve any baking, I decided to rectify that today by making an Oreo cake.
I've been making plain old cakes since I was really young (it's one of the easiest recipes to remember: 3x 200 grams and 2 eggs, same as in the family recipe apple cake), but usually they turn out quite dry. Adding Oreos to the mixture seems to remedy that, and it tastes great!

Ingredients
200 g butter (softened)
200 g sugar
200 g self-raising (or plain) flower
2 eggs
a teaspoon of lemon zest
half a packet of Oreo cookies (about 12) broken into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and line the sides of your cake tin with baking parchment.
Now you make this cake like you make any cake: mix the butter and sugar together until they are soft and creamy, add the flower, and then add the eggs one after the other. After adding the eggs, you have to mix continuously for about 4-5 minutes, to get enough air into the mixture for the cake to rise well. This can be really heavy on the hand and wrist, but since I now have my beautiful KitchenAid, I could let the machine do the work for me, and break up the cookies in the meantime.

KitchenAided multitasking.


Add the lemon zest and the Oreos in small quantities, and mix thoroughly so that everything is well-combined (your cake mixture will become somewhat blackish/brownish in colour, which doesn't look that great but means the Oreo taste is spreading its love).
Pour or spoon your mixture into the cake tin and bake for an hour at 180 degrees. My cake was a bit burned at the top, probably because of the really high sugar content. You could probably leave out some of the sugar (use 150 g instead of 200) because the Oreos themselves, especially the white stuff, contain a lot of sugar, but I thought of that after I put it in the oven, so not one of my brighter baking moments.

Slightly scorched cake.
As always, looks can be deceiving, and the taste is actually really really good. You can taste the Oreos, but the lemon zest also comes through quite nicely, and the cake itself is not too sweet. It isn't dry at all, but pretty moist and with a firm crust. And it looks great, almost not-homemade. I dare to say this may be one of the best cakes I made in a long time.

Somehow one slice disappeared before I could take a picture...

All because of the Oreos, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment