Thursday 2 May 2013

Chocolate Almond Cake

Last Saturday we had our housewarming party, and this was the ideal opportunity to start baking again after quite a long pause. I decide to bake a carrot cake and a key lime pie, as these are two strong favourites.
Sadly, and also quite upsettingly, the key lime pie failed. I have never really had an entire cake or pie fail on me, but this was just completely inedible: the inside was still liquid after a full night in the fridge, soaking through the entire biscuit base (which was actually one of the best I'd made in years! ah well...).
After the sad disposal of said pie in the dustbin, I quickly had to come up with another cake to make, or we would have had lots of hungry guests. I flipped through my Mary Berry's Baking Bible, desperate for a recipe that didn't include things I didn't have, and I found the Almond and Chocolate Chip Cake.
Now the ingredients that Mary Berry lists are as follows:
175 g self-raising flour
175 g softened butter
175 g caster sugar
3 large eggs
50 g ground almond
175 g plain chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
flaked almonds, for sprinkling

Of this list, I used exactly 2 things in the same amount as she ordered: the eggs and the flaked almonds. As I didn't have any ground almonds, I used some almond paste I still had left over from Sinterklaas. As this consists of equal amounts almonds and sugar, I dispensed with the caster sugar, upped some of the amounts, added some other stuff, and came to the following:
200 g self-raising flour
200 g softened butter
250 g almond paste
25 g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
100 g chocolate chips
1 packet backing powder
flaked almonds

Just throw everything in a bowl, mix thoroughly, put into a prepared baking tin (buttered and with backing parchment on the bottom), sprinkle almond flakes over the top and bank for 1 hour at 180 degrees C.
I added the baking powder because the almond paste was pretty heavy and dense, and I was afraid the cake wouldn't rise properly. In fact, it did rise, and it was nice and moist on the inside, sweet, chocolaty, with a hint of almonds. Pretty good, for a I-need-a-plan-now! cake.
Sadly, no pictures, as this was kind of a rush job, but I'll probably make it again some other time, and show you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment