Wednesday 5 December 2012

Facing the difficulties

Today, the 5th of December, is usually a day of joy in The Netherlands. It's Sinterklaas, meaning presents, poems, sweets, chocolate, and family time. As there are no small children 'believing' in Sinterklaas in my family anymore we celebrated it last Friday, but many of my internship colleagues are leaving early, and there was a Sinterklaas walking around the building handing out pepernoten and sweets just an hour ago.
But today, its more a day of misery. Bad things seem to be happening all around me; people getting fired, plans going awry, things they've worked towards for months suddenly being cancelled or changed... I won't go into specifics, as these are not my personal things, but somehow, they all come at the same time.
I've had some bad stuff myself; yesterday I agreed with my supervisor that I am going to completely rewrite my MA dissertation, which will take a lot of work, as I am basically starting all over again from scratch. This is something I decided on my own, and I'm happy with that decision, so it's not completely a bad thing, but still, it threw me for a while. And then today, the guy at the bank told us that we won't be getting our mortgage at the time we thought we would, so we wont be able to sign our contract and get the key on the date we'd planned, so now we've had to move everything around, from the signing day to the day the contractor is going to inspect to the day we actually start working.
This was more than annoying, this was actually enough to make me quite angry, as the bank guy told us the stuff would be done/available by a certain date, and now he was telling us that they were very busy, and had to do overtime, and were understaffed, and boo-hoo, and he couldn't make it. They should have seen this coming weeks ago, as the mortgage laws are going to change by 1 January 2013, and lots of people are wanting to get in on the old system while they still can. And moreover, him working overtime is none of my problem, we're paying him to do this work, so he should be doing it (in time!).
But in neither cases I really got angry. I got annoyed, but not in the shouty "I won't talk to you because you're ruining all my plans but I will shout at you until you give me what I want" way that some people have. I get annoyed for about 10 seconds, and then I switch into practical "okay, this is not the way we'd planned it or wanted it, but this is the situation we have, so how can we make it work anyway?" Pragmatism. I never knew I was pragmatic until faced with these kinds of things, and I'm happy I am, because being angry and/or annoyed and/or shouting your head off at the person who needs to help you doesn't get you anywhere.
But that doesn't take away from the fact that some people are having a really bad day today, and that there's a wall (a mountain, more like) of stuff coming up for me to do, all of it over the holidays, meaning no rest for the interning, dissertation-writing DIY-ers. I hope I can retain the positive view on things that I have now, which is mostly based on "I/we'll figure it out in the end". And you always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment