Thursday 21 June 2012

Fish painting

I finally have an example of one of my painting with clingfilm post (which proves to be one of the more popular) techniques to show you. I've been writing essays for the past two weeks, and am now waiting for someone to return a book that I really, really need to the library. To take my mind off things, I started to paint again.

Yes, crappy picture, I'm aware of it.
The photo does not show you the colours very well, but at least you can see some of it...
Now this painting was originally something else, which didn't work out, and then I turned it into a green sea-scape with one skeletal fish. I thought it might work well as a companion piece to the bird painting from my first paintings post, because they're kind of looking at each other...

Bird fish combo.
For those still interested in painting with clingfilm, this is what I did:
I first painted the background, let it dry, and then I drew a sort-of fish shape on a separate piece of paper. I scrunched up a bit of clingfilm, unscrunched it, pulled it flat across the paper, and with a small brush painted the fish figure on to the clingfilm. I then scrunched that a bit (not too much, or the paint would've run into each other even more, as it did with the first top 'rib') and put it on my canvas. I let it dry for about an hour before pulling it off.
Now I thought the white contrasted a bit too much with the rest of the painting, so I filled it in with some green, not too much, just a bit on the bottom. You can't really see it in the picture above, but here's a detail:

Even crappier picture, slightly out of focus.
I'm quite happy with how it turned out, even though it does give me a bit of a Greenpeace / save-the-seas / we-humans-are-destroying-the-planet feel. I feel like I could have added some yellow or something, but I didn't, and it turned out a bit darker than I would have anticipated, but maybe that's okay.

Anyway, I've been working on two non-vague, non-abstract, figurative things, which hopefully will be done before my essays are due, because I happen to paint better when I should actually be doing something else. Weird, I know. So, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment