Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Hunger Games

For all of you who think I am dead or have been eaten by my work; I'm still here! I am extremely busy, but it's all rounding-off and tying-up kind of things, because coming Friday 3 of the big projects I've been working on for months are done, followed by (great timing) the May holidays. Which I will spend in Paris. Which will be fantastic.
But I have been somewhat swallowed by something other than work; The Hunger Games. Now it's been a long time since I read a whole book in 24 hours, but part 2 of the series, Catching Fire, worked just like that (this all happened about a week ago, now that I think of it, during another thing-that-hasn't happened in a long time; me being really, genuinely ill. But no more about that). Funnily enough, I think it's the worst book of the series, but that's they way books work.
Now I won't spoil any more for you, except to say that I think it is a great series, that I would never let my (hypothetical) children read it until they are about 16 because of all the blood and gore (definitely not because of all the adolescent sex, because there is none to speak of), but I do hope they read it one day because it teaches Important Life Lessons (such as; "the world does not revolve around you", and; "yes, war sucks, losing your home and family and everything sucks, but fighting for what you believe in is sometimes more important"). It also teaches some important literary lessons, such as "don't overdo it with all the Latin name references", and it draws a bit too heavily on some of the trauma theory things, but that's nothing a normal (non-literary theory induced) person should worry about.
For all of you who loved this series (there must be maaaany, because it's everywhere now (I hate being part of a hype, but all of this started when I got a card from a Ukrainian girl say "Hey, I'm reading The Hunger Games and I think they're great books", not with people shoving the things down my throat, so I kinda feel like I'm not part of the hype (even though I am shoving the books down other people's throats))) and want more more more, I can only recommend the Tomorrow-series by John Marsden, starting with Tomorrow When the War Began (1993). I read these when I was about 10 (much, much too young!), and there are 7 books in all, so that should keep you going for a while.
And to conclude; I'm on Team Peeta, if we're going for that kind of thing again (don't think so, as this series is finished already, but I just want to spread the word). Also, watch the film, it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment