Tuesday 7 February 2012

Lemon and poppy seed cake

So today I made a lemon-and-poppy seed-cake and nearly destroyed my mixer.
Some friends were coming over, and one of them suggested I make this cake because of my superfluous poppy seeds (which I still have moooooore than enough of even after making this cake) and as I had one of those cake-making packets laying around (given to me by the other friend) I decided to use that. It is basically just flour and sugar, mixed with some raising agents, so I decided to treat it as that.
This did not work.
Since I was about 7, I have made cakes according to the 200-200-200-2 principle; 200 g butter, 200 g sugar, 200 g flour, 2 eggs. The recipe on the carton (consisting of 450 g flour & sugar mixture) called for 200 g butter, 3 eggs, and 50 ml milk. Now I have never used milk in any cake recipe, and I wasn't going to start today, I thought.
How wrong I was.
After not adding the milk, the mixture (I'd call it a "dough" at this point) was veeerrry clingy and needy and sticky and did not want to let go of the mixer or the bowl, and after about 10 seconds of attempted mixing the mixer made a whirring noise and stopped mixing. So I immediately turned it off, added the 50 ml of milk, turned it on again, and it worked. Well, the mixture was still very tough and sticky, but at least now it would go out of the bowl into the cake tin.
Anyway, I baked the cake at 160 C for an hour, praying that it would not overflow out of the tin, as the one my mother made did a couple of weeks ago. Mine didn't, thankfully.
Cake!
I then decided to make some icing, because icings is great and I still had a packet of cream cheese laying around that we didn't use for anything (if you're baking long enough, you do get those things, which are just "laying around". I never believed them when they said it on cooking shows, but it's really true). So I mixed the 200 g of cream cheese with 50 g butter (does anyone know why you put butter in iciting? It's in all the recipes, but with me it just makes it lumpy, which makes the butter seem pointless), some lemon zest, and an x amount of icing sugar, as I was adding sugar while tasting it until it was sweet enough. I dolloped the icing on the cake, put the whole thing in the fridge so the icing could harden a bit, and tada; iced lemon-poppy seed cake!
It's dark in here...
(The whole baking-paper trick works very well by the way, I stole it off Lorraine, and it makes your cake come out of the tin easy-breezy!)
Okay, so maybe I put a bit too much icing on it, but it is a waste to throw it away once you've made it, right? And I'm sure my audience will not mind!
It tasted very good; moist cake, looooots of icing, and the great poppy seed flavour in between. Next time I make this, I won't be using one of those cake-making packets again, but just make it from scratch myself. It's easier, more fun, and you'll have a better grip on the eventual outcome, or so I make myself believe!

1 comment: