Thursday 7 December 2017

Blueberry cake

So I've had my birthday in October, and of course I did some birthday baking. Normally I plan this pretty far in advance, but this year that somehow didn't happen, so I had to make a rather on-the-spot decision about what to make. For some reason (because they were on sale) I had lots and lots of blueberries. So naturally, I made a blueberry cake.
Looking for recipes for a blueberry cake, I came to the conclusion that you can either make:
- a plain cake with added blueberries
- a blueberry cheesecake
As my other cake was a mon chou cake, I didn't want to go for the cheesecake option, but just a plain cake with added blueberries sounded dull. So my solution was basically to make one giant blueberry cupcake, and call it a blueberry cake. And it was quite the hit!

Ingredients:
175 g butter
175 g sugar
3 eggs
225 g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon lemon zest
blueberries (I can't remember how many, but quite a lot. I think about 200-250 grams? Use fresh blueberries, not frozen ones)

For the frosting:
150 g mascarpone (I'd use cream cheese, but we don't have proper cream cheese here)
50-75 g icing sugar (depending on how sweet you want the frosting to be)
some blueberries to decorate

Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease a sandwich tin and line with baking parchment.
Mix the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the eggs one by one, the lemon zest, and the self-raising flour. Finally, use a spoon to stir in the blueberries (if you do this by electric mixer they will get mashed up). Spread the mixture in the cake tin and bake for about 50 minutes.
Let the cake cool completely, turning it out onto a plate or wire rack about 5-10 minutes after opening the oven.

Make the frosting simply by combining the mascarpone or cream cheese with the icing sugar. Add the icing sugar in small lumps and taste in between. The cake is not very sweet, so the frosting shouldn't be too sour if you like a sweet cake. Spread the frosting over the cake in any way you like and decorate with the remaining blueberries.

Blueberry galore (I kept the most gigantic ones to decorate).

Final judgement? What works for small blueberry cupcakes unsurprisingly also works for large(r) blueberry cakes. The cake was very moist and not too sweet, the blueberries went well with the mascarpone, basically all was well with the world. A perfect cake for late summer or early autumn, when blueberries are actually in season (one of the perks of having your birthday early autumn: all kinds of nice fruity things are plentily available).
In the future, I will try more of these cupcake-turned-into-real-cake experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment