Thursday 7 December 2017

Fluently flu-ish

Wow, time flies! This reads like one of those obligatory "I'm not dead!" posts after a long period of blogging silence, but it is also honestly how I feel. The last couple of days I've been under the influence of a very violent and persistant virus, having what is euphemistically called 'stomach flu', but which I like to rename 'a snake writhing around in your intestines trying to rearrange som organs'. It wasn't pretty. I won't go into more detail.
But! Lots of other stuff happened, since my last post and before I got the bug. I've been promoted, meaning I am now no longer a generic-sounding 'project manager' but rather a 'publisher'. Sounds posher, is significantly more tricky to fill in on an entry-card to exotic holiday destinations (the first time I went to Africa the steward on the plane suggested we were creative with our job descriptions, putting 'artist' if you were a photographer, or 'writer' when you were a journalist; it would save us lots of time at customs. Sadly, I'd forgotten that by the time I went to Morocco in 2016, and I put in 'publisher' as my profession as 'project manager' wouldn't fit in the teeny-tiny space, and the customs official grilled me for 5 minutes about what I did, who I worked with, what kind of books I published, until he decided that school books must have something to do with the government, I wasn't a radical self-publishing element, and could safely be let into the country).
Also, I had my birthday (more on birthday baking in a next post), I visited London for a week, staying at a great Airbnb and enjoying it more than I'd expected from a city I've already visited six times, and of course I did lots of reading (birthdays always mean more books!). All of that and more, still to come, when I feel more like a human being than home to an intestinal snake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment